Match Report 26/8/2023
Barnoldswick Town 2, Billingham Synthonia 2
Synthonia win 5-4 on Penalties

Isuzu FA Vase 1st Qualifying Round

Barnoldswick Town: Jackovlevs, Ditch, Dugdale, Moloney, Dean, Barski (C), Argent-Barnes, Moore, Sandle, Carsley, Chmiel. Subs; Hill, Ashton, Watson, Brotherton.
Billingham Synthonia: O Simpson, Lines, Groom, Banki (Travers), Heap, Butterfield (A Simpson), Porritt, Kirkbride, Noble (S Johnson), Peacock (C), Bruton. Unused Subs; Dalgleish, Caygill.

Synthonia travelled to Lancashire to face Barnoldswick Town in the FA Vase and progressed to the next round after a penalty shoot-out.

Billingham had a great start to the game when they opened the scoring in the 4th minute when ALEX BRUTON picked up on a loose ball and sent in a great strike from outside the penalty area past home keeper Callum Jakovlevs.

The home side threatened with a couple of shots on goal being blocked by Synners defenders before a shot went wide of the target. Synthonia responded with Lewis Porritt seeing his shot stopped by Jakovlevs then Bruton tried another shot from distance, but comfortable for the keeper.

Synners had penalty appeals waved away when Bruton was challenged in the box and then Mitch Noble got past a defender on the left, but saw his shot deflect wide of the near post as they continued to carve out chances.

Barnoldswick found an equaliser in the 41st minute when a cross from the left into the box saw BRADLEY CARSLEY see the ball home into the net. They came close to taking a half-time advantage with a shot from just inside the box being well saved from Billingham keeper Ollie Simpson.

Half-time: Barnoldswick Town 1, Synners 1

There were chances for both sides after the restart with Simpson saving for Synners from a shot from the left. This was followed by a shot over the bar for Barnoldswick. Billingham then attacked with a Noble cross from the right falling for Bruton in front of goal who could only see his header just over the bar.

Synthonia came close again when Porritt played Bruton in on goal who this time fired just past the left hand upright.

It was Barnoldswick who found the net next though when, in the 72nd minute, a ball was played right to substitute BEN ASHTON who weaved his way into the box before firing in a fine finish.

Synners looked for a leveller with Jonny Peacock turning a defender before sending in a shot from the left just past the far post. They weren't to be denied though when, after a Barnoldswick attack broke down, they broke quickly with Peacock releasing substitute STEVIE JOHNSON in on goal who slotted his shot from the right into the bottom left corner of the net in the 78th minute.

With the game finely balanced, Billingham threatened with Porritt threading a pass through for Leo Kirkbride who strayed just offside as he saw his shot into the net. Johnson the turned a defender, but saw his shot straight at Jakovlevs. Then as full-time approached, Synners keeper Simpson twice denied the hosts with saves.

Full-time: Barnoldswick Town 2, Synners 2

Into a penalty shoot-out and after five penalties each the score was 4-4 and we went into sudden death. Porritt netted for Synthonia, but Barnoldswick's Gareth Hill could only send his spot-kick wide to see Synners into the next round.

Full-time Penalty Kicks: Barnoldswick Town 4, Synners 5

Referee: J Morrell, Assistants: K Moore, S Galasso.

Attendance: 188

Match highlights from SynnersTV on YouTube