Match Report 23/9/2023
Silsden 3, Billingham Synthonia 1

Isuzu FA Vase 2nd Qualifying Round

Silsden: Trenerry, Fishley, Baldwin, Cromack, Barnes (C), Clayton, Brooksbank, Maltby, Price, Hudson, Stewart. Subs; Hebda, Harris, Thompson, Smith, Gardner, Snowden.
Billingham Synthonia: O Simpson, Lines, Winstanley, Banki (Williamson), A Simpson, McLeod, Porritt (Noble), Travers (C), Willshaw (Tucker), Lavan, Bruton. Unused Subs; Groom, Dalgleish, Wilson, Peacock.

Synthonia made the trip trip to West Yorkshire in the FA Vase and exited this season's competition with a 3-1 defeat.

Early chances for both sides saw a shot inches past the right hand post for the home side and then an Alex Bruton shot on goal for Synners was comfortably saved from keeper Kyle Trennery.

Silsden had a good chance when a right wing cross from Luke Brooksbank came to Cody Cromack who forced a save with his legs from Billingham keeper Ollie Simpson. Synners then advanced again with Bruton slotting a ball through to Matty Willshaw in on goal; the striker seeing his shot agonisingly just wide of the target.

The hosts opened the scoring in the 18th minute when a right wing corner from Ellis Hudson came to ADAM CLAYTON who headed into the net.

After another Simpson save denied Silsden, they doubled their advantage on 30 minutes with a left sided corner being headed home beyond Simpson from KAYLE PRICE.

Billingham had a chance to halve the deficit before the break with a Callum Banki volley over the bar from Lewis Porritt's cross. The home side then came close with a free-kick over the bar.

Half-time: Silsden 2, Synners 0

Synners substitute Ryu Williamson was put in on goal after the restart; keeper Trennery doing well to close down the forward and block his shot.

It would be Silsden who scored again next though when in the 54th minute Brooksbank played to KAYLE PRICE in the box who did well to create a shooting opportunity and finding the bottom right corner of the net.

The hosts threatened to put the game out of sight with shots on goal seeing a shot wide and a Simpson save from Price.

Synthonia searched for a way back into the game with an Alfie Simpson effort on goal being stopped by Trennery. Synners would find the net though when, in the 74th minute, Willshaw played to the open MITCH NOBLE who slotted the ball under the keeper and into the net.

More good chances followed for Billingham with Williamson in goal seeing his shot kiss the outside of the left hand post. Then in added-on time they were given a penalty kick after Bruton was felled in the box; skipper Liam Travers though saw Trennery come out on top with a save from his spot-kick to send the hosts into the next round.

Full-time: Silsden 3, Synners 1

Referee: O Holland, Assistants: N Haycock, R Gatenby.

Attendance: 142

Match highlights from SynnersTV on YouTube