Match Report 24/11/2023
Newcastle Blue Star 1, Billingham Synthonia 1

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Newcastle Blue Star: Steavens, Spurr, Bright, Luke (C), Nicholson, Anderson, Walsh, Hartley, Harmison, Lanning, Robinson. Subs; Ogbewe, Dobson, Robertson, Walker, Livermore.
Billingham Synthonia: O Simpson, Miley, Groom, Davis, A Simpson (C), Scaife-Wheatley (Banki), Hogan (Lines), Winstanley, Willshaw (Williamson), Brown (Lavan), Porritt. Unsed Sub; McLeod.

Billingham made the Friday night trip to Tyneside to face current league leaders Newcastle Blue Star and came back with a share of the points in a close fought game.

The hosts came close early on when a cross from the right was mis-judged by Synners keeper Ollie Simpson, but skipper Alfie Simpson was on hand with a good defensive block to deny the forward. A cross from the left then looped over Simpson and bounced off the top of the bar.

Synthonia advanced and opened the scoring in the 16th minute with Jack Winstanley playing a ball over the defence for LUKE HOGAN who controlled the ball and fired into the bottom right corner of the net.

In a game of few clear cut chances, Matty Willshaw for Synners fired over from distance and a Blue Star right-wing corner saw a header over the bar.

The last real chances of the half saw a Simpson header blocked from a Joe Scaife-Wheatley corner on the right. For Newcastle, a short corner on the right was played back to Oscar Hartley who made space to shoot, but just past the right hand post.

Half-time: Newcastle Blue Star 0, Synners 1

After the break and a move forward for the home side saw a ball across goal from the left which Simpson managed to parry away. Synners responded with Simpson playing the ball out of defence for Willshaw who, under pressure from a defender, saw keeper Aaron Steavens save his shot.

Billingham came close to extending their lead when Winstanley's shot was blocked but fell for Willshaw who threaded through to Lewis Porritt in front of goal; his close range shot excellently saved by Steavens.

Blue Star advanced on the left and a ball into the box saw Simpson save. The hosts then found a leveller in the 69th minute with a free-kick on the right seeing BEN HARMISON head home at the near post.

Both sides had chances to take all three points with Porritt for Synners intercepting a defensive clearance but shooting wide of the goal then substitute McKellan Lines saw his shot from a tight angle on the left cleared off the goal-line. For Blue Star, Paul Robinson made a run on the left but saw his shot from a tight angle hit the outside of the left hand post to leave the game all sqaure.

Full-time: Newcastle Blue Star 1, Synners 1

Referee: P Laws, Assistants: H Foster-Boyd, Z Logue.

Attendance: 319

Match highlights from SynnersTV on YouTube