Match Report 16/4/2024
Blyth Town 4, Billingham Synthonia 3

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Blyth Town: Cameron, Beesley, Fogarty, Gibson (C), Dale, Fell, Slater, Mullen, Wilson, Sayer, Johnson. Subs; Cowburn, Shodeinde, Cooper, Aziakonou, Calvert.
Billingham Synthonia: Taylor, Miley, Hogan, McLeod, A Simpson (C), Scaife-Wheatley (Noble), Porritt, Winstanley, Willshaw (O Johnson), Scotland-Peacock, Lavan. Unused subs; B Taylor, Dalgleish, Williamson

Billingham made the mid-week trip up to newly crowned Division Two champions Blyth Town and left empty handed in a 4-3 reverse.

After an early goal from the hosts was chalked off for an offside, Synthonia opened the scoring in the 6th minute with Tyler Miley's throw-in on the right being headed on by a defender only for Matty Willshaw who played the ball across goal which fell for ASH LAVAN who fired in from close range.

Synners came close to extending the lead with Luke Hogan playing a ball into the box for Alfie Simpson who headed just wide of the right hand post. Blyth responded with an attack down the left flank which resulted in the ball being played inside where a shot went over the bar.

Blyth came close when a shot from the edge of the box was tipped over from Billingham keeper Sam Taylor. From the reulting left wing corner, a header on goal deflected just past the far post. Synthonia then also came close when a header back to the keeper was intercepted by Willshaw who shot wide of the target.

The home side levelled the game up in the 38th minute when a shot from the left was saved by Taylor with the loose ball coming to ex-Synner BRANDON SLATER who saw the ball home at the right hand post.

Billingham were soon ahead again when in the 41st minute Taylor punted upfield for MATTY WILLSHAW who let the ball drop over his shoulder before sending in a great first-time strike from the left to the far side of the net.

After another Taylor save denied the home side, they levelled again from the resulting corner from the right in the 43rd minute with JOSEPH GIBSON latching on to a loose ball at the back post.

Half-time: Blyth Town 2, Synners 2

After the break and Blyth were on the offensive with Taylor again on fine form with a great save from a shot from the right inside the box. Synners responded with a ball into the box which saw Willshaw try an overhead kick which was comfortable for keeper Adam Cameron.

Blyth threatened again with a right wing corner seeing a header on goal which Taylor was a match to with the stop. Then a good move forward resulted in a shot from the edge of the penalty area which went just past the post.

Another long range shot was saved by Taylor before Billingham took the lead for a third time when, in the 67th minute, they cleared from a Blyth free-kick and MATTY WILLSHAW advanced on goal and held off a defender before firing past Cameron and in.

Again the lead didn't last long as the hosts levelled again in the 69th minute with a move down the right seeing the ball into the box for ADAM JOHNSON to net from close range.

Blyth scored what proved to be the winner in the 74th minute with Cameron punting upfield which was latched upon by NATHAN BEESLEY who saw the ball home with his shot past Taylor.

Synthonia had chances to take a point late on with a couple of corners defended well by the home side with blocks on the goal line. Then a Hogan shot was well over the bar to leave Blyth Town with the three points.

Full-time: Blyth Town 4, Synners 3

Referee: D Forbes, Assistants: J Knapp, N Sherratt.

Attendance: 143

Match highlights from SynnersTV on YouTube