Match Report 5/1/2024
Billingham Synthonia 2, Chester-le-Street Town 2

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Billingham Synthonia: R Johnson, Miley, Lines (A Simpson), Davis (C), McLeod, Scaife-Wheatley (Scotland-Peacock), Lavan, Winstanley, Willshaw (Noble), Brown, Williamson (Porritt). Unused Sub; Heap.
Chester-le-Street Town: Orton, Soulsby, Wallace, Stafford, College, Dixon (C), Gohery, Smith, Shaw, Hardy, Beattie. Subs; Akal, Huddleston, Gray, Shodeinde, McAloon.

Billingham hosted Chester-le-Street Town and shared the points in a score draw where the visitors snatched a late added-on time equaliser.

An early Synners chance saw Declan Brown find Ryu Williamson in the box who turned and fired just over the bar. Williamson came close again soon after when his shot from distance was heading in before Cestrian keeper Tom Orton made a great save to tip the ball over.

Synthonia continued to create the better openings as Joe Scaife-Wheately sent in a corner from the right for Jack Winstanley to head on goal which a defender blocked before Chester-le-Street managed to scramble the ball away.

It would be the visitors who opened the scoring though when, in the 29th minute, a long ball over the Synners defence released CONNOR SHAW in on goal and the forward took the ball past advancing Synners keeper Ryan Johnson and slotted home.

Chester-le-Street almost doubled their advantage when a ball to the right of goal saw a player find the net; only to be chalked off for offside. Billingham responded with Williamson making a strong run forward and play to Matty Willshaw who saw his shot past Orton cleared by a covering defender.

Half-time: Synners 1, Chester-le-Street Town 0

The away team started the second period the better with a long range shot going past the post then another ball over the top again released Shaw who this time was denied by Johnson who made the save.

A corner from the left for Chester-le-Street resulted in a shot on goal at the back post which ricocheted off the foot of the post. Then a corner from the right saw an effort which crashed off the cross-bar as they continued to cause a threat.

A Scaife-Wheatley free-kick from his own half proved fruitful for Billingham as the ball fell for Ash Lavan who left it for MATTY WILLSHAW to fire on goal which took a deflection and looped over Orton and into the net after 72 minutes.

Synners had the game turned on it's head a few minutes later when in the 76th minute a long throw-in on the left from Jonny Peacock sent Lavan clear to advance and then play inside to DECLAN BROWN who placed his shot into the bottom right corner of the goal from just inside the penalty area.

Synthonia had chances to extend the lead with Lavan being denied with a brilliant save from former Synner Orton. Then substitute Lewis Porritt made a run on goal with Orton again coming out on top as he blocked with his legs.

Chester-le-Street threatened as a looping shot bounced off the top of the bar, Synners then countered as Lavan went clear on goal but saw his shot straight at the keeper.

The visitor's levelled the game up with the last move of the match as a cross into the box from the left resulted in, what looked like, a defensive header which hit the right hand post then hit Johnson and went in, however BENJAMIN SHODEINDE claimed the goal that meant a share of the points.

Full-time: Synners 2, Chester-le-Street Town 2

Referee: T Ross, Assistants: J Pitt, A Cook.

Attendance: 110

Match highlights from SynnersTV on YouTube