Match Report 8/3/2024
Billingham Synthonia 1, Easington Colliery 2

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Billingham Synthonia: O Simpson, Miley, McLeod (Lines), Davis, A Simpson (C), Scaife-Wheatley (Scotland-Peacock), Winstanley, Lavan, Willshaw, Hutchinson, Hogan. Unused Subs; Brown, Groom, Noble.
Easington Colliery: Lowerson, Ord, Eltringham, Trewick, Forster, Nelson, Tapping, Kenney, Bott, Fairley, Weirs (C). Subs; McCabe, Ford, Stanton, Guy, Pearn.

Synthonia's sixteen game unbeaten run came to an end on a frustrating evening against Easington Colliery.

Easington started the game the better with a shot from distance going wide of the target and then a free-kick into the box brought a header on goal which was straight at Billingham keeper Ollie Simpson.

Synners advanced and a Matty Willshaw shot went wide of the right hand post. The visitors responded with another shot from distance bringing a save out of Simpson.

Willshaw went through on goal for Synners but the play was brought back for a foul against the striker with the Easington defender falling over after being out-muscled. That proved to be the last chance of the half where neither side created clear cut chances.

Half-time: Synners 0, Easington Colliery 0

Billingham pressed after the re-start and Willshaw released Luke Hogan to the left who brought a smart stop out of the Easington keeper; Willshaw followed up but dragged his shot wide.

Chances were still kept to a minimum until the 74th minute where Easington opened the scoring when a short corner on the right saw the ball floated to the back post where CHRISTOPHER TREWICK headed home.

Easington doubled their lead in the 79th minute as Synners couldn't clear their lines and MATTHEW WEIRS took advantage as he found himself with the ball to the right of goal and slotted home to the near post.

Synthonia looked to respond and Willshaw was denied by the frame of the goal as his free-kick ricocheted off the left hand post. This was followed by a Hutchinson shot well over the bar.

Easington were reduced to ten men in the 91st minute when Kevin Pearn was given a straight red for a petty off the ball incident.

Billingham eventually got on the scoresheet with JACK WINSTANLEY stroking a shot home from the edge of the box in the 96th minute, but that would prove to be the last kick of the game with the visitors taking the points.

Full-time: Synners 1, Easington Colliery 2

Referee: G Mann, Assistants: C West, M Kataroz.

Attendance: 90

Match highlights from SynnersTV on YouTube