Match Report 16/12/2023
FC Hartlepool 1, Billingham Synthonia 1

Ebac Northern League Division 2

FC Hartlepool: McDonald, Nesbitt, Lamb, Cook, Naylor, Gavin (C), Macarthy, Daley, Hutchinson, Angus, Henderson. Subs; Murphy, Chainey, Gales, Butler, Chapman.
Billingham Synthonia: Taylor, Miley, Lines, Davis, Simpson (C), Scaife-Wheatley (Scotland-Peacock), Porritt, Winstanley, Willshaw, Brown (Lavan), Hogan (Noble). Unsed Subs; Banki, McLeod.

Billingham made the short trip to FC Hartlepool and came away with a point in a 1-1 draw.

With a blustering wind at the their backs, the hosts created an early chance with a shot from the edge of the box being comfortable for Synners debutant loanee keeper Sam Taylor.

Synthonia responded with a Lewis Porritt shot from the right going wide of the far post before they opened the scoting in the 17th minute when Matty Willshaw helped on a ball forward from Alfie Simpson to DECLAN BROWN who finished well with a shot from inside the penalty area.

Hartlepool threatened with a ball into the box seeing a shot go wide of the left hand post. Then Taylor made a double save when firstly he made a block from Josh Daley's shot; the ball falling to Philip Angus who saw his shot brilliantly tipped over by the keeper.

Chances for Billingham saw Brown play in McKellan Lines who couldn't get a good connection on the ball and sent his shot wide. Then Willshaw saw sight of goal a couple of times with a run forward which saw Hartlepool keeper Lewis McDonald make the save and then Willshaw shot from the right which went narrowly past the far post.

Half-time: FC Hartlepool 0, Synners 1

After the break and Synners had a good chance when Willshaw cleverly turned a defender to create a shooting opportunity which McDonald was behind to make the save. The hosts responded with a move down the left releasing ex-Synner Ben Henderson, but his shot was well wide of the far post.

Another Willshaw shot was denied by McDonald as he tipped over the bar and from Joe Scaife-Wheatley's corner from the right, Willshaw headed just wide of the near post as Billingham looked to extend the lead.

It would be FC Hartlepool who found the net next though when a ball forward on the right in the 64th minute released substitute LEWIS MURPHY and he made no mistake with a low shot past Taylor and in.

There were a few half chances for both side to take the points, the closest being a header over from Synners skipper Simpson following a Jack Winstanley free-kick into the box, but the game faded out to leave both sides a point.

Full-time: FC Hartlepool 1, Synners 1

Referee: M Davidson, Assistants: M Katoroz, C Royal.

Attendance: 148

Match highlights from SynnersTV on YouTube