Match Report 20/3/2024
Thornaby 0, Billingham Synthonia 3

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Thornaby: Makepeace (C), Richards, Joynes, Mitchell, Alali, Booth, Verity, Gant, Wright, Nelson, Hindson. Subs; Littlefair, Priest, Clark, Milburn, Rowe.
Billingham Synthonia: Taylor, Miley, Hogan (Lines), Davis (McLeod), A Simpson (C), Scaife-Wheatley, Winstanley (Scotland-Peacock), Brown, Willshaw (Noble), Hutchinson (O Simpson), Porritt.

Billingham returned to winning ways, taking the three points with the short trip to Thornaby.

Synners threatened from the off with Craig Hutchinson playing a ball into Declan Brown who turned and shot narrowly over the bar from close range. Hutchinson was involved again as he laid the ball left for Luke Hogan who saw his shot on goal charged down by a Thornaby defender.

A Matty Willsahw shot on goal forced a save out of home keeper Ronan Makepeace before Synthonia opened the scoring in the 8th minute with Hutchinson advancing and squaring the ball for MATTY WILLSHAW in the box who made no mistake as he rifled home past the keeper and in.

Synners continued to pose a threat with Willshaw playing right to Lewis Porritt; a defender blocked the shot but the ball fell for Brown who fired over the bar from close range.

Thornaby rallied briefly with a shot over the bar, but Billingham were soon back on the offensive with Willshaw seeing sight of goal again, only to shoot just past the left hand post from the right.

A second Synners goal came in the 38th minute from the penalty spot following a hand-ball offence from a corner; MATTY WILLSHAW stepped up to fire in from twelve yards.

There were more chances for Synthonia to extend the lead before the break with Makepeace making two great saves to deny Hogan and Willshaw. Then Porritt had a shot on goal which was blocked by a defender.

Half-time: Thornaby 0, Synners 2

Billingham soon extended the lead to three after the break when in the 50th minute Porritt released CRAIG HUTCHINSON in on goal and the striker made no mistake with a great shot past Makepeace and in to give them a comfortable lead.

A free-kick from the home side was comfortable for Synners keeper Sam Taylor, Synners soon advanced again and a Jack Winstanley shot dipped just over the cross-bar.

Shots from Brown and Willshaw went over as Synthonia continued to carve out chances then a late chance for Thornaby to get on the scoresheet went by with a shot just wide of the left hand post from a shot from the right.

Full-time: Thornaby 0, Synners 3

Referee: T Craig, Assistants: M Thornton, W Kiernan.

Attendance: 170

Match highlights from SynnersTV on YouTube